[TowerTalk] Putting a wire into Trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Putting a wire into Trees
From: ab5tv@ix.netcom.com (Madison R. Jones)
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 16:38:42 -0600
Press W Jones wrote:

> Sorry Dick - I should have been more explicit. The "Wrist Rocket" is one
> of a number of names applied to wire frame, surgical tubing sling shots
> and a wrist leverage device that have proliferated in the sports market
> in the last 5-10 years, and are found at K Mmart, Walmart, etc, etc
> around the country at $5 to $15 a copy, for the most part. I have been in
> areas where they aren't sold due to local protecionist laws.
> The casting reel is found at the same stores - needs to be free running
> with no drag. Most of them are about $5 - no need for a super quality or
> fancy brand. Two small stainless "worm" clamps attach the reel to the
> sling shot frame, and a bag of small sinkers supplies the ammunition(
> you'll probably lose a few). Practice ammo is small stones of similar
> size and weight, to get the feel and skill required. Assembly is a cinch
> - just attach the reel so that it doesn't get in the way, and according
> to whether you are a "lefty" or not. Most users pull up a light line such
> as the 3/32" black dacron with the casting line, and then pull the
> antenna wire with the rope.
> The obvious precautions apply, and will indicate why we don't sell them -
> we just pass on the idea because ....IT WORKS!
> 73
> Press Jones, N8UG, The Wireman, Inc., Landrum, SC 29356

***********

I have been using this method with great success for some while.  BE
AWARE, HOWEVER, there is an element of risk: if the line snags in the
vicinity of the reel, there is an extreme liklihood that your sinker (or
whatever you use to provide momentum to the line) will come zinging back
at approximately the same speed as it initially went out.  Depending
upon how far out it went before it came back, there can be some real
excitement, especially if you aren't wearing eye protection.  Before you
really honk on that surgical tubing, make sure the line runs free! I
have put a 2 oz. weight over a limb at least 100' up, so it does work.

Regards,

Madison
w5mj