[TowerTalk] Re:

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re:
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 15:33:39 EST
In a message dated 98-01-17 13:26:18 EST, cada@cyberus.ca writes:

> 1)  While I'm up there, should I take the driven-element / director half
>  down also, or would it be OK to leave it up?

    Well, leave it up if you want to use it. What more could happen?

>  2)  If I leave it up, would I be doing anything to the rotor by having an
>  unbalanced load on the mast? i.e. only half the antenna up.  The rotor is a
>  Ham III about 5 feet down from the point of the tower.  There is a thrust
>  bearing about 2 feet above the rotor and the antenna is about 2 feet above
>  the point.  The rotor is stuck at 240 degrees (for now).

     There's no problem with the offset load on the mast - the rotator isn't
seeing much of it if at all.

>  I checked the SWR and it normal across all three bands.  Any advice /
>  opinions (I'm sure there will be a few) would be appreciated.

     Use it! It'll radiate albeit a little skewed but what the heck.

     Don't forget to submit this as a claim on your homeowners insurance.
You're covered under it in most cases. You'll need an estimate from a real
tower company so they'll include removal, re-installation, parts and all labor
so it'll probably be worthwhile as a claim.

73,  Steve  K7LXC