[TowerTalk] Getting back on HF

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Getting back on HF
From: dick@libelle.com (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 16:01:23 -0800
At 3:29 PM -0800 1/18/98, Leonard Parsons wrote:

>After many years of VHF operation, am getting back on HF.  What would be
>the advantages/disadvantages of putting a 40-2cd and an X9 or X7 on the
>same mast?  The vertical separation would be 12 ft, and the height of
>the lower antenna would be 60' above ground.

It sounds like a nice combination, Len.  I have something similar, with a
TH-11 at the bottom of my mast and a 40-2CD 12 feet above it.  One of the
things to be careful about is that your mast is strong enough to carry the
load of that 40-2CD that far above the top of the tower.  You will probably
need to go with a 1/4" wall steel tubing with a yield strength of at least
70,000 PSI.  This assumes a standard 2" diameter mast.

In any case, welcome back to the wild and wacky world!!  :)

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/w7di/