[TowerTalk] Mixing ham and commercial antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mixing ham and commercial antennas
From: seay@alaska.net (Jan & Del Seay)
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 00:51:45 -0000
Hi Tom. I'd recommend against it.
You're really asking for headaches. But - if you decide
to go ahead, insist that ferrite isolators are put on each
line, including your amateur gear. What isolators do is
to allow rf to travel only in one direction thru the device,
and the first port is the radio, second port is the antenna
and the third port is a dummy load. Rf from the tx will
go to the antenna, but rf coming back from the antenn
will be directed to the dummy load..

In addition, resonant cavities should be installed in each
vhf and upward line.

Next - all excess hardware should be removed from the
tower. Any metal that is in contact with the tower and not
firmly attached is a source of intermod.

Insist on a clause that holds you harmless in case of
interference.

I have an intermod program that I would be glad to send you
for looking at the obvious combinations. But, there are always
the unexpected.

Again, I would think long and hard about what you're getting into.

Good luck.
de KL7HF

----------
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date: Friday, January 23, 1998 11:09 PM
>

> I've been talking with someone about placing a commercial paging antenna
> (931 MHz) on one of my towers.  I'm looking for specific suggestions for
> things to watch out for regarding their RFI potential - me to them and
vice
> versa.  I'd like to minimize any problems before we get started - anyone
> with some direct experience?
>
> Most of my operating is 160-10m but I do have 50, 144(packet) and
> 430(packet).  One tower being considered has 40m/10m beams plus one 430
> antenna and my 160m 4-square around it.  The other has 20m beams plus my
80m
> 4-square.   Only one of my Beverages comes close to either tower (about
30'
> away).
>
> Please respond direct and I'll summarize for the group.
>
>                       73 Tom

> E-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com
> Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone:
860-668-5444