[TowerTalk] PE services

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] PE services
From: dick@libelle.com (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 09:22:44 -0800
At 12:07 PM -0800 2/5/98, Pete Smith wrote:

>Maybe I'm missing something, but ....
>
>If a PE simply attaches a set of Rohn drawings to a covering document, is
>$250 really a reasonable fee, as Steve says?  I can see that, easily, if
>he/she has to review the Rohn drawings from scratch and at least spot-check
>the engineering.  But if it's a repetitive situation, where the PE is
>signing off on yet another, by-the-book 70 foot 25G, it sounds excessive.

Your local PE needs to confirm that the numbers on the drawings are
correct.  If they're not, it's HIS license on the line, not the original
PE's whose paycheck is signed by the tower manufacturer.

He needs to confirm the soil assumptions in the drawings are correct for
your area for footing calculations.

He needs to confirm the drawing specs actually match or exceed your local
government requirements.  Does your county require survival with 1/2-inch
of radial ice (most do)?  Do your antenna sq ft calculations include that
(most don't)?  Does the tower's (some do)?

No matter how canned a give manufacturer's drawings are, every installation
is going to be different and it is up to the local PE to factor in those
differences.

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/w7di/