[TowerTalk] Comments on Antenna Peformance (long)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Comments on Antenna Peformance (long)
From: DavidHarper@tx.slr.com (DavidHarper@tx.slr.com)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:28:55 -0600
Duffey sez:

        (snip)
> With respect to gain; an antenna cut for the phone band will usually
> do
> better in the CW band than an antenna cut for the CW band will do in
> the
> phone band.
>
> The moral of point 1 is to measure exactly or err on the short side
> when
> measuring element lengths.

This may be true with respect to gain, as you say.  However, isn't the
opposite true with respect to SWR?  Most SWR curves are steeper on the
low end, so that an antenna that is adjusted for CW has a lower SWR at
the top of the band than the SWR would be at the bottom of the band for
an antenna that is adjusted for Phone.  Regardless of the gain, f/b,
etc., if an antenna has a high SWR then many rigs and amps become
unhappy.  That is why I always adjusted my tribanders for CW (plus the
fact that I don't do much phone), and I was happy with the resulting SWR
curves.  However, your info makes me less happy now if this method
lowers the gain. Maybe I was better off ignorant  :-)

73 Dave WD5N