[TowerTalk] Tree Climbing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tree Climbing
From: KK6T@joneslumber.com (Terry Dunlap)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 09:53:05 -0800
>       One alternative that was discussed on the local repeater recently
>was the use of "ascenders".  These are reportedly devices that "clamp"
>onto
>a rope and allow you to use them as stepping devices.  I have not yet
>had
>the opportunity to check into them myself, but REI or someone else who
>stocks
>technical climbing supplies would seem to be the place to go.
>       The other caveat re: lineman's "spurs" is well taken...IMHO, in additon
>to the safety issues (which are considerable) you certainly cause some
>degree
>of damage to the bark of the tree.  In the case of pines, especially,
>this may
>make them more susceptible to insect or fungal infestation.
>Besides...we don't
>want to prevoke the "spirits" that inhabit the trees any more than
>necessary,
>as attested to in earlier posts to the reflector =:0

REI does indeed stock several brands of ascenders.  They all require proper
instruction and lots of practice.  Last time I checked (several years ago)
they were about $70.  I certainly wouldn't recommend them for casual
use.  Besides, you still have to have a rope up the tree to ascend.

73 de Terry KK6T