[TowerTalk] 40-2CD boom brace

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40-2CD boom brace
From: harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:09:52 -0500 (EST)
I have had the Cushcraft 40-2CD up in two different locations, both with
the boom braces BELOW the boom.  Here are my findings:
1.  in Dallas, everything was great, boom braces held fine, until the
whole tower dropped straight down due to a winch failure (reported some
months ago here as TowTec problem).  The downward force bent both braces,
of course, and snapped the boom right where it joins at the mast.
2. in Orlando area, again used standard boom braces (alumn. tubing jointed
with hose clamps), and like in Dallas, I have no problems, but I can tell
from the pressure on the braces that this grade of alumn. is right at its
limit.  If I do this again, I will put the braces under the boom again,
but utilize heavier wall but same size diameter tubes.
Sum:  it will stay up in normal situations (winds below 50mph) with all
stock materials with braces below the boom.
de K4VUD