[TowerTalk] Tower problem (long)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower problem (long)
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:57:38 EST
In a message dated 98-03-16 22:44:29 EST, jerry@otherside.com writes:

<<  My intention was of only going up 40 ft.  I put up 30 ft., guyed it with
 rope in 3 places, and when we tried getting up the top section the tower
 began to sway and "twist".  It felt and looked very unsafe.

     NO ONE specifies rope for guy material. You need steel guy wires properly
tensioned.

     This is sort of similar to Rohn 25G. Rohn specifies 3/16 inch EHS (Extra
High Strength) guy wire - I suggest you use it as well.

    Actually, you should have a Rohn catalog so that you can make some more
educated guesses about the hardware and applicable specs . They're five bucks
from TOWER TECH, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072.

     These kinds of towers with no diagonal bracing don't have much torque
resistance. This tower is equivalent to the Rohn 6G but I don't have any specs
on it. Maybe another TowerTalkian can provide more input. You're right - it's
basically TV tower.

     The whole state of Kentucky is only rated at 70 MPH, the lowest rating
they give, so you don't have any wind problems to worry about. Your A-3 at 40
or so feet on this tower, properly guyed, will be fine.

73 and GL,  Steve  K7LXC