[TowerTalk] IDEAS ??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] IDEAS ??
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 13:31:13 EST
In a message dated 98-03-21 13:08:39 EST, dick.green@valley.net writes:

> Even though U.S. Tower has probably been conservative in its calculations,
>  and many hams have loaded these towers with stacked beams, if I were you I
>  would be very cautious. Personally, I wouldn't go over the present U.S.
>  Tower limit of 10 sq. ft., and would lower the tower to 50 feet whenever
the
>  wind gets above 15-20 MPH, and all the way down when it gets above 25-30
>  MPH.

     If you're interested in more in-depth discussions on crank-up tower
height, wind speed and tower load, you may be interested in the following
articles.

     First is Roger Cox, WB0DGF's article called "Match Your Antenna To Your
Tower". It's interesting and informative.

     Next is Bruce Horn, WA7BNM's paper on the same topic. They both have de-
rating charts and other data.

    Copies of both of these are available from TOWER TECH for a buck each.
Some of this information also appears in my "Up The Tower" column in CQ
Contest magazine 12-97 and 2-98. A reprint of my 7-part series on towers is
available for $2. Send to TOWER TECH, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC