[TowerTalk] Painting a new mast?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Painting a new mast?
From: rudder1@ibm.net (Malcolm Clark)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 19:53:40 +0000
N. S. FIRESTONE wrote:

> United States Steel Company, now USX Corp, put up their HQ building here
> using a new steel product, "Core Ten".  It oxidizes (rusts) a surface
> finish that is supposed to be protective and self healing. The building
> is about 25 years old and stands a mighty 62 stories or so high. In the
> early days it was a bright shiny building and as it oxidized it stained
> the sidewalks all around it and even put a coating on the Bell Tell
> building across the street, Motha Bell wasn't too thrilled. It has gone
> to a completely rust color now and I suppose it has stopped shedding. I
> guess rust can be advantageous in the right place on the right material.
> Aren't some of the light standards out on the highway/interstate Core Ten
> material as well?

Interesting. Cor-Ten (I've also seen it spelled Corten and have no idea
which of the three is correct) is used as a marine alloy by many
builders of steel boats.  I have a buddy who has a Dutch built ketch
built of the stuff.  He had to have a plate replaced and the welder
complained bitterly about the cost of the plate he had to buy.  He also
screwed up the hull's fairness (smoothness).  Apparently the stuff is a
bear to weld.

73 Malcolm KR4HP