[TowerTalk] 80 M INVERTED L

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80 M INVERTED L
From: perring@texas.net (Bob Perring)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:19:53 -0600
At 10:43 3/24/98 -0800, you wrote:

>I have just put up a inverted L for 80 M this past weekend. Since i do

>not have very tall trees,poles or room, I have mounted it along side
my

>tower. The spacing is about 3` from tower and the feed point is about
9`

>above ground with 10 elevated radials.The vertical section is 36` and

>the horizontal section is about 30` ,the horz. end is about 30` high.

>Feeding with 50 ohm coax, the lowest swr i can get is 2.4-1 at 3.790

>mhz. Also does not seem to receive very well.All signals are very low

>compared with dipole.

>Do have some interaction from the tower?

>Should i increase the spacing?

==============================>

I have a simlar configuration in my small backyard for 160 meters.

I go up my 65' tower via insulators screwed into aluminum tent poles that
hold the wire about 3 ft from the tower.

Once I reach the tower top, I slope downward towards my front yard and
and tie off to an oak tree.

This gives me a 65' vertical portion and the balance somewhat resembling
a 45 degree downward sloper.

I have no radials but rely on my tower being grounded to my swimming pool
steel re-bar grid as my ground.

To get the SWR down I feed a parallel doorknob capacitor at the feedpoint
and the SWR is flat 1:1.

It works very well, and I would expect yours for 80 to work well, also.

I wish I could run elevated radials.

They will be a plus.

Use ferrite beads as an Rf choke and keep the radials isolated from
ground.

I cover all bands from 160 tru 432 on one tower in a small backyard, with
the inverted L, 1/4 wave sloper for 80, 3 ele on 40' boom for 40, stacked
tribanders for 20,15,10,  rotatable dipole for WARC,  es beams for
6,2,432 at the very top!

I do most antenna work in the summer as I have to be in the pool water in
order to do some work on the arrays. My yaed is not big enuff for the
aluminum on the ground unless I am in the pool, and the antennas are
supported above same.

73,

Bob Perring

Houston, Texas