[TowerTalk] TH11DX or X9

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TH11DX or X9
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 23:24:53 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-06 20:53:45 EDT, lraffel@barclayprod.com writes:

> I was had just decided to get a TH11 since, according to hygain, it is
>  broad banded on 5 bands.  However, I was at the AES open house this weekend
>  and talked to the Cushcraft rep there.  Of course he said that the X9 was
>  better.  He said that the X9 will give better performance on 10, 15 and 20
>  because it did not have to be optimized for all 5 bands.  He then went on
>  to say that it would perform adequately on 12 and 17 but with an SWR of 4:1
>  and can be used on those two bands with an antenna tuner.  In other words
>  the X9 has better performance on 10, 15, 20 but not as good on 12 AND 17.
>  Also, he said, you can install a 40 m 2 element add-on kit.  Too good to be
>  true?  Any comments?

      Well, since the jury is still out on the X-9, talking to the factory is
somewhat suspect. The word is spreading on the TH11 which is uniformly good on
ALL those bands and anecdotally is a killer on 17M (according to N6MZ). NX7K's
recent experiences on 20M are pretty interesting ("you're the loudest US
signal; you're 50 over 9; etc.) from the deep Russians and others are worth
noting. But no 40M capabilities.

     We're hoping to have an X-9 to include in our tribander comparison test
but it probably won't be available until after Dayton where I will be
presenting our preliminary results at K3LR's Antenna Forum. It will be fun and
interesting.

     Yes, the report will be available later this year.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC