[TowerTalk] Rain static and grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rain static and grounding
From: kk6t@joneslumber.com (Terry Dunlap)
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 13:19:39 -0700
At 07:34 PM 4/9/98 +0000, you wrote:
>On  9 Apr 98, Fred Hopengarten <k1vr@juno.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 9 Apr 1998 11:21:09 +0000 "Barry Kutner" <w2up@itw.com> writes:
>> >Hi all - Lately, I've noticed the static produced by rain seems to be
>> >a lot louder than in the past. The only change I've made to my system
>> >was improve the tower grounding (from 3 ground rods with clamps to 9
>> >ground rods Cadwelded). Could this be the cause? Any other ideas?
>> >El nino? :.)
>> >73 Barry
>>

>> K1VR:  Funny you should mention this.  I was thinking the same thing. The
>> past three days static to the West (H40AA and AB hunting) has been
>> fiercer than I remember.  I think it is just that there's usually a storm
>> to the south and I'm looking at EU, but the map has been lotsa rain for
>> 2000 miles to the West lately, and I'm looking West.
>>

>Fred - You may have hit the nail on the head. 90% of the time, my
>antennas point E/NE. For the last few weeks, they have been pointed
>west most of the time. 73 Barry
>
>--
>Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up@itw.com
>Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com

See what us Left Coast folks have to put up with.......it's a wonder we can
work any DX at all <g>

Seriously, I can't remember static as bad as this, even on the high bands.
Guess maybe that's something else we can blame on "El Nino"

73 de Terry KK6T

The early bird gets the worm, but the second
mouse gets the cheese......