[TowerTalk] Protective Coatings for Beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Protective Coatings for Beams
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 07:43:12 -1000
Aloha,

Here on Kauai,  most beams of which I am aware were
sprayed with Krylon clear coat;  this includes my Mosley
TA-34-XL which has been up since Dec. 1992 (its the one
the insurance company paid for after Hurricane Iniki!).
At the time I was told by many that the Mosley beams
were the strongest in  standing tropical storm winds,
and our usual 30 to 40+ mph Spring trades; it certainly
would not stand up to another Iniki,  however!

Had it down to tighten the feed line connection a couple
years ago;  all appeared to be fine.  Now I am about 2
miles in-island from the ocean,  and about 500
feet higher  (the usual slope of the Pacific shield
volcano islands which can rise up several thousands
of feet in 10 miles --  Kauai is about 24 miles across,  and
the central volcano, Mt. Waialeale,   rises to about
5100 feet asl;  the ocean depth just a few miles off
shore all around Kauai is about 6000 feet deep,  the
base level of the volcano which formed this island some
6 million years ago,  so they say --now how is that for
off topic trivia information,  hi.)

73,  Jim,  KH7M