[TowerTalk] Rustng Tower Base Bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rustng Tower Base Bolts
From: tom_g@pacbell.net (Thomas A. Gallagher)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 16:12:20 -0700
I have a 26 year old tower installation.  Many of the bolts extending from
the tower base that support the tower have lost about a quarter inch of
their 1 inch diameter due to rust (very corrosive atmosphere near the
ocean).  It is not feasible to install a new base, so the alternatives are
to remove the tower permanently or somehow use the existing base.  I have
heard people allude to drilling new holes in the base (obviously quite
deep) and epoxying in new bolts.  Does anyone have any experience doing
that?  If so, how do you avoid hitting rebar in the base?  Any other ideas
(other than selling the rig)?
                Tom, N6RA