[TowerTalk] 160 Meters

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160 Meters
From: dave@egh.com (David Clemons)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:32:50 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

        I currently have use an inverted V with the apex at 55 feet and
one of the legs with some bends in it (to keep it on my property).  With
100 watts, I get out real well to the Caribbean but the antenna leaves a
lot to be desired into Europe and I don't think I've ever worked anyone
west of the Mississippi.

        I am considering using a half sloper (one side of coax to the
tower and the other side to half of an inverted V).  My other options
are a shortened vertical (max height 30 or 40 feet)..  UniHat makes one,
so does Force 12.  I know shortened verticals often leave a lot to be
desired, but I suspect they would perform better than my inverted V.
Would anyone who has had experience using any of these antennas
(including the half sloper) be willing to share it with me?  Especially
interesting would be comparisons between them if you've done that too.

        Many thanks.

73, Dave Clemons K1VUT