[TowerTalk] Chokes on Dipoles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Chokes on Dipoles
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 09:42:05 EDT
In a message dated 4/29/98 8:40:47 AM Central Daylight Time,
k0wa@southwind.net writes:

> wherefores concerning current chokes on feedline to the dipole?  I hae read
>  the articles in QST, but what practical experiences do we have out there in
>  the collective wisdom of the reflector.

The effects are very dramatic. First, the choke tells the RF where the antenna
ends and the feeline begins. Second, it minimizes the effect of RF propagating
down the coax and back in to your shack. Third, when I model a dipole or
sloper on AO and use a choke, I never have to prune the antenna.

Tom, K5RC/7