[TowerTalk] Beam Baluns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beam Baluns
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 12:00:01 EDT
In a message dated 4/30/98 7:45:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
KC5QDZ@iamerica.net writes:

<< I happened to remove the 8X jumper  that goes between my
 antenna switch and swr meter, so now the antenna coax was hooked up
 directly to the meter, and noticed that my swr and bandwidth changed on
 15. The bandwidth on my TH3 had now gotten narrower. >>

Since your TH3 has traps and coax, it will always be a complex resistive-
reactive load. As you change lengths of coax, the "apparent" SWR will change.
The less reactive the load, the less the SWR at the transmitter end will
change. The only way to see the true SWR and bandwith is to use an antenna
analyzer at the antenna. If the SWR is less than 2:1 at the shack and your
radio is happy, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Tom, K5RC