[TowerTalk] more - Precip static

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] more - Precip static
From: rudder1@ibm.net (Malcolm Clark)
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 17:12:26 +0000
K4SB wrote:

> Tom had a good idea he gave you on adding small balls to the tips of the
> elements...I have an old Telex design here for 10 meters, and it has
> small corona balls on each tip....
>
> Another idea, although I have no idea where you might find them are
> "static wicks" most commonly used on the wings of airliners. ( look out
> at the rear of the wing ) The composition of the thing is graphite with
> a bad case of split ends.

Wait a minute, aren't you're advocating two opposites to accomplish the
same thing--round smooth balls and sharp pointed tips.  I'll go with the
sharp and pointed.  Eyeball protection is the only valid reason I know
of for round balls on any antenna.  If a smooth round surface was the
ideal way to bleed of a charge, wouldn't we see round lightning balls
instead of sharp pointed lightning rods--or am I missing something?

73
Malcolm KR4HP