[TowerTalk] RE: [RFI] Copper clad or Galvanized steel ground rods???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: [RFI] Copper clad or Galvanized steel ground rods???
From: kz5qdx@COMMUNIQUE.NET (Douglas Bradford)
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 05:26:56 -0500
Just My 2 cents worth: or : Galvanized won't work in South Louisiana.

I am located in one of the "Hot Spots" South Louisiana. I have over
40 + years in underground construction. In the Late 60's The Pipe
Line Safty Act was passed. Steel Gas Pipe was required to be
protected against corrossion.Underground Galvanized Pipe was
not used. Several methods of doing this were available. Anodes,
on isolated sections were most common methods and connecting
material was copper and ir brass, still is today. Not wanting to get into
procedures taken just saying that never ever allowed to use Galv.
In this area of the country, I have seen Galvanized pipe destroyed
in less than 6 months. In over 40 years I have yet to see a piece
of copper destroyed. Have seen many a time, a copper water line
and black steel or galv steel gas line , side by side and the steel line
every time was damaged due to corrossion. Distance between them
did not matter. From 1" to 50 feet at same depth,  it made no difference..
About 35 years ago I used a Galv. rod for a
property corner. Replaced it later with copper as it was gone.
Lasted maybe 10 years, at the most, Copper one is still there.
I was not aware of EIA standards reg. Galv. Steel Rods. This
is not the first time a mistake has been made if it is so.
Maybe we need to get the Corrosion Engineers on this one.
Might need to see if we need anodes on Towers> This might
open a wild new thread.

BTW one of my property corners is a piece of copper dating back
to 1912 when this land was acquired. It is still there.

For Installing Ground rods:    Use a copper rod ........
Forget the Sledge Hammer, use a coke bottle full of water and
jig it up and down, goes in easy. If that's too hard, get a piece
of pipe , put a sleeve on end and connect the water hose of the
other end and jig it up and down, washing a hole as far down as
you want to go  If you are in rocky terrain, it won't work but does
real fine down here. In the old days, we bored roadways for pipe
crossings with a few five gallon buckets of water.

And I am in acid area, strawberrys, azealeas, etc love it. Galv.Don't.

73 Brad  KZ5Q
Long Live CW
My Preferred Mode