[TowerTalk] more - precip noise

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] more - precip noise
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 08:46:53 +0000
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date:          Sun, 03 May 1998 10:03:28 -0700 (PDT)
> From:          Dale Jones K5MM <ddjones@nas.com>

Hi Dale,

>  During hissing-static times, the 80 meter antenna was terrible, and
>  the 160 mtr folded dipole was perfectly quite.  I have no explanation
>  for why this was the case.  I just liked folded dipoles (even though
>  they required a tuner near the transmitter) and I had one for 160
>  already built up.

It's tougher to get coronas discharge through insulation for a number
of reasons.

You may have hit on another solution, put the antenna in a radome.

>  Now, for a commercial installation like Todd has for his local
>  public utility, it would be fun to experiment with a Crossed-Dipole
>  made up with two Folded Dipoles.  Can't prove it, but I'd bet it
>  would be much better than what he has.

Not if the other stations in the system were using verticals.

But an insulated housing would help, especially if it were a less
than perfect insulator at dc (a few megohms per square inch maybe).

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com