[TowerTalk] Lightning rod on top

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning rod on top
From: mlowell@noclant.navy.mil (Lowell, Mark)
Date: Mon, 4 May 98 14:53:06 -0400
I just read through the Precipitation Static thread in this month's
archive (still catching up), and now it seems that a combination approach
may be better.
 The static dissipators are apparently good for what they are named for,
but I have read that the strike current would melt the strands, ruining
the dissipator.
  How about a putting dissipators at the bottom end of an upward pointing
ground rod/lightning rod, where it is attached to the tower mast?
Perhaps more, farther down, side mounted on the tower. The dissipators
ward off as many strikes as possible, and the rod takes the current from
the strikes that do develop.

--...MARK_N1LO...--