[TowerTalk] Simple EHS & Insulator Questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Simple EHS & Insulator Questions
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 10:46:09 EDT
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Tue, 05 May 1998 08:31:04 -0500 Larry Burke <lburke@wt.net> writes:

>(2) Any innovative ways to cut EHS out there (short of using bolt
>cutters, which I don't have but guess I could always buy, beg, or
borrow)?

K1VR: If you are only going to cut one or two pieces of EHS, and this is
not the way you earn your living --

1.  Put on your safety glasses. (I have a nick in mine where an EHS cable
snapped back and gouged a spot that could have otherwise been my eye.)

2.  Put on your work gloves.

3. Using electrical tape or duct tape, put two wraps on the spot you want
to cut (prevents unravelling and hurting yourself in other ways).

4. Cut with hack saw and decent blade. Be patient.  After a while,
wiggle, and several strands will break.  Saw some more.  Wiggle. Iterate.

Keep safety glasses and gloves on until it is time for a cold one.

Remember:  You were told here that cutting EHS cable is not quick or
easy. Enjoy the experience. Listen to good tunes or National Public Radio
while doing it.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]