[TowerTalk] concrete base type

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] concrete base type
From: dbcolter@mail.tds.net (Dave Colter)
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 15:50:02 -0400
The answer depends on what you plant to put on the tower.  For most ham
applications, a pier pin base is not necessary.  This arrangement is
used to reduce stress on the legs caused by the twisting induced by very
large antennas.  You can also reduce this stress by using a 6 guy torque
arm arrangement on top, the method I prefer.  It is also more difficult
to erect a tower on a pier pin base.  You can either erect the sections
up to the first guy all at once with a crane, or temporarily guy the
first section until you get to the first guy point.
73
Dave Colter WA1ZCN