Re[2]: [TowerTalk] 4-Square Owners & Experts...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re[2]: [TowerTalk] 4-Square Owners & Experts...
From: bcotter@pop.uky.edu (Bill Cotter)
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 10:34:43 -0400
Paul,

I agree with Dick, WC1M, on the need for a clearing at least within
the square. I put down 256 #16 enameled Cu radials total, directly
on the ground and within the square it got pretty messy. I did not
bond the overlapping radials, and that made the install a lot
easier. To hold down the radials I made "pins" out of U-shaped #9
Al scrap wire. Around the perimeter I took advantage of the
scrub-brush as tiedowns for radial ends. Two years later, I have
watched the radials, radiator feedlines and the 250ft
feedline/control lines to the shack simply disappear into the
ground! Best of all, it presents no problem mowing at 3" height.

73,

Bill

At 08:51 AM 5/6/98 EST, pramey@bellsouthwd.com wrote:
>     I would like to install a 4-Square system but have a question
.  I
>     live on a wooded lot.  It has a lot of scrub growth and some
full
>     sized tree's.  Can a 4-Square system be installed with out
clearing
>     too many of the tree's?  How close to the antenna can I have
tree's?

>     Paul
>     WG0G/W2
>

>--

| Bill Cotter, Manager of R&D          Mail:   bcotter@pop.uky.edu |
| Communications and Network Systems   Pager:  (606) 259-6082      |
| Parking Structure 2, Room-4, 0198    Phone:  (606) 323-6474      |
| University of Kentucky               FAX:    (606) 257-9400      |
| Lexington, KY 40506-0198             Home:   (606) 887-5563,2402 |