[TowerTalk] Re: Tower Talk Digest V1 #685

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Tower Talk Digest V1 #685
From: w5hvv@aeneas.net (Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph)
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 23:07:16 +0600
>In San Diego we can buy mini-cases for as cheap as $25.00. But the switching
>PS is a noisy dog, and there is no filtering.  Replacement of the a.c. input
>connector with a filtered type is an easy one-hour job, start to finish and
>it will probably get rid of 95% of your problem.  For the remainder you
>might want to play with snap-on chokes, but after I ran coax braid from the
>computer chassis to the station ground buss to get everything at the same
>potential, I needed only one or two chokes to finish the job.
>
>I also noted reduction of video noise when I powered the monitor from the
>accessory a.c. socket on the back of the computer p.s., instead of just a
>random socket in the station. When inside the p.s. box I also had added some
>ferrites to the leads going to this output socket, as a precaution. I
>recommend powering your monitor the same way.
>
>It would be a HUGE JOB to successfully shield a monitor completely, for
>example, and may not be necessary at all if you take care of business in the
>computer p.s. first.
Gentlemen, Macintosh not only makes quiet computers and monitors, they make
one that has a PII microprocessor as well so that you can run both Mac OS
oriented software and PC/DOS oriented software.  This is not a software
emulator, it is an honest to God dual processor unit that allows you to cut
and paste from a PC application to a Mac application and vice versa.... and
it is all deadly quiet.  I run 3 Macs and one PC in my hamshack.  The only
noise I hear in my FT-1000MP on ANY band eminates from the PC.

Rod, N5HV
w5hvv@aeneas.net