[TowerTalk] Tower Questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Questions
From: NI6W@yagistress.minden.nv.us (Kurt Andress)
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 20:04:01 -0700
Dennis,
Use the concrete anchors that are recommended by Rohn for your tower and
wind exposure. The screw in anchors can't handle the load rating of the
recommended guys.

I have been working on FEA models of the towers I plan on putting up here
and can say that the cantilevered top section is NOT the way to go for most
ham installations. We usually want to put a lot of stuff above the top of
the tower on a long mast. This can generate some huge bending moments in
the top tower section. The tower bending loads, with the guys at the top
are about 1/2 of what they are when the guys are 5' below the top. This is
just ballparking from my memory. But the difference is tremendous.
Additionally, the attachment of the top stub to the tower is not
particularly suited for high bending loads. I know of several stations that
had problems in this area. The problem is not that Rohn didn't design and
build the tapered section right. The problem is that we (hams) put more
stuff on the mast, at a higher distance above the tower top than Rohn
designed for. Rohn wants us to put the entire wind load at the top of the
tower not on a long mast above the top of the tower.
What happens in the amateur scenario is the loads of all the antennas bend
the mast significantly. The bent mast fetches up in Rohn top section stub
and transfers all of the bending load into the rather compact structure
that holds the stub in the tower. When enough bending load occurs, pieces
of the stub attachment deform or crack, or break.
Experience tells us that many installations have worked with the tapered
top section. I do also know that if the wind is blowing, you may need a
very large rotator to turn your fetched up mast in the top stub.
I prefer the flat top section with a pillow block bearing. It allows the
mast bend to occur without inducing any moment into the top of the tower.
The tower reactions that counteract the mast bending loads are purely
horizontal and occur at the top and at the rotor.
What defines what will work for your installation is how many square tons
of gain will be how far above the top of the tower.
73, Kurt
YagiStress - The Ultimate Mechanical Design Software for Yagi's
Visit - http://freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress