[TowerTalk] Rust Stain on Rohn 45

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rust Stain on Rohn 45
From: abowen@nettally.com (Bowen, Arlan)
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 09:29:29 -0400
I use a product called Rusticide. I purchased it at a large paint store in
Clearwater, FL. Apply with brush or rag, rinse with soapy water and then
clear water. Some scubbing may be required if the stuff is etched into the
galvanizing. Use an old tooth brush.

The material is basically phosphoric acid. There is another similar product
sold to boaters for removal of rust stains on the deck. It is a somewhat
dilute formulation compared to Rusticide. Product name I used was "Phoz".

Be aware that the application will change the appearance of the galvanized
surface somewhat, usually making it appear a little lighter. No significant
amount of material is removed. Rather, a new surface compound appears to be
formed. I defer to the chemists on that subject.

Phosphoric acid is used in various forms by auto manufacturers and other
steel fabricators as a primer and rust inhibitor.

INK  N4OO