[TowerTalk] Another source for Kevlar cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Another source for Kevlar cable
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 13:17:40 EDT
In a message dated 98-05-18 12:59:54 EDT, thompson@mindspring.com writes:

<< While looking through the Glen Martin Engineering web page I came across
the
 fact that they sell Kevlar cable.  The Phillystran name is nowhere to be
 found.  Kevlar is made from an aramid fiber produced by E. I. Dupont.

 They sell 2100, 4000, and 6700 lb breaking strength versions that run quite
 a bit higher than Phillystran (I have 1997 prices maybe its gone higher).
 HP-2100 60 cents/ft
 HP-4000 98 cents/ft
 HP-6700 $1.36/ft
 no mention of volume pricing.

 Unlike Phillystran they recommend heavy duty thimbles, U-bolt cable clamps
 (4 per end) and an end cap to keep the kevlar from unravelling.  This is for
 all sizes not just 2100.  >>

      This is Phillystran which is a Kevlar aramid fiber strand product. The
fact that GME is still recommending cable clamps a couple of years after the
factory introduced the Preformed grips and told people NOT to use cable clamps
shows that they're behind the curve in their information.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC