[TowerTalk] Secondary Vertical Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Secondary Vertical Antenna
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 14:55:11 +0000
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date:          Sun, 24 May 1998 13:27:27 +0000
> From:          John Kjos <W9RPM@centuryinter.net>
> Subject:       [TowerTalk] Secondary Vertical Antenna
> To:            "TOWERTALK@contesting.com" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>

> I want to put up a Vertical antenna for 10-80 meters,primarily as a
> listening antenna,secondary to my beams.I am looking at putting up a
> Butternut HF9V on a 63' tower.Any comments on this antenna-pro or
> con?

Hi John,

I had to do some tests of different antennas for a manufacturer, and
I bought a Butternut. It was one the best performer of the group
tested.

If you elevate the antenna that high, you can do without an extensive
ground system. Four radials on each band should be plenty at that
height.

I used a 14AVQ or something (forgot now) at 160 ft, with a five
element 20 meter monoband beam as a counterpoise. It worked killer on
40 up, and was only about eight or ten dB down from the 5 element
antenna.

I used the vertical as my main TX antenna, and listened on the yagi.
That reduced QRM substantially, by keeping the frequency clear of USA
to USA contacts.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com