[TowerTalk] Push-Up Mast Questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Push-Up Mast Questions
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 15:36:16 -0500
It's not quite a tower but will have to do until I save some money and
get my issues with the city worked out...

Just bought a Rohn E-40 telescoping mast from the local amateur radio
store.  Came with absolutely no instructions, and Rohn was completely
worthless when I called for some - "those are intended to be installed
by professional tower installers only" they said...

Will use the mast only to support a G5RV and an R5 vertical or a 2m
Ringo.

A few questions, if I may:

* The mast has 4 guy rings at 10 ft intervals.  Do I need to guy at
every one of them?  Was planning on guying at the 20 and 40 ft levels if
that is sufficient.  The intent is to use 3 guys (120 degrees apart) at
each level.

* Will use 1/8" double-braid Dacron (the black outer braid on a white
inner one) for the guys.  I think it has a rating of 420 lbs.  Should be
plenty strong enough, no?

* Planning to stake the guys at 60% of the mast height (24 ft).  Seems
like I read that figure in the ARRL antenna book. Do I need to go out to
40 ft? Some other distance?

* Ideas for good, cheap guy stakes?  Have several T-style fenceposts
that I could use.   Would like to have the guy ropes up about 4 or 5 ft
above the ground to help minimize hassles when mowing/walking - what's a
good way to do that without having to dig a hole and plant a concrete
base?

Thanks - private e-mail replies are fine as this isn't probably of
general use to many on the reflector..

-Marty KI0LO
 martyt@pobox.com