[TowerTalk] Re: getting coax into shack thru wall

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: getting coax into shack thru wall
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 21:53:35 +0000
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date:          Thu, 28 May 1998 21:05:10 -0400
> From:          David Fouchey <dafouche@jax-inter.net>
> Subject:       RE: [TowerTalk] Re: getting coax into shack thru wall
> To:            Dave D'Epagnier <DAVED@ctilidar.com>,
>                "'Charles H. Harpole'" <harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu>,
>                'Towertalk' <towertalk@contesting.com>

> >bulkhead? Doesn't the lightning surge current basically get shunted to
> >ground if this arrangement is used?
> >
> In a word not always...even having done all of that I have had the copper
> inside the RG-213 vaporised on its way to the nice ground...and it Still
> made it past the protectors and into the radio house. The in house
> protectors were blown off of the wall into many little pieces. This was a
> comercial instalation with both portec and polyphaser protectors. Sometimes
> it just makes it through no matter HOW hard you try.

That's one reason why disconnecting the feedline and all other
cables OUTSIDE the bulkhead is a good idea, especially if you can
pull the cables back a few feet.

Of course you should have a very good ground at the tower, and the
tower should not be right against the house.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com