[TowerTalk] Cushcraft 40-2CD on 12, 17 & 6m

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft 40-2CD on 12, 17 & 6m
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 20:14:41 -0600
The 40-2CD presents a reasonable match on 17M (<2:1 SWR)
and seems to work as an effective  rotary dipole on that band.
The SWR on 12M is higher but can be tuned with most antenna
tuners.  I know many people who use this as their primary 17M
antenna and a few who also use it on 12M.  It should be possible
to add a close spaced 12M parasleeve driven element if you want
to achieve low 12M SWR without a tuner.

It would be a simple matter to add 12 and 17 meter reflectors
(or a trapped reflector a la  A3WS) to achieve 2 effective elements
on each band.  The fact that there are no elements in front of the
driven element means that there will be NO destructive interference
as experienced with 3 or more elements on lower bands.   These
additional elements for the WARC bands will NOT affect 40M
operation.

I have often thought such an option would make an interesting
product enhancement for Cushcraft.

73 / GL,  Tom  N4KG

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998 19:08:47 -0400 "DavidC" <davidc@bit-net.com> writes:

>Over the past week several folks have told me that the 40-2CD tunes up
>nicely and runs real well on 12 and 17, and that according to an
>MFJ-259
>shows a good swr and impedance on 6m (multiple wavelengths I guess!).
>
>I would greatly value reports of actual experiences with this antenna
>on
>these non-design frequencies as I move closer to finalizing my antenna
>plans.
>
>These are all secondary bands for me and if this beam will handle them
>will be able to settle on it as adequate for those bands and return my
>focus to maximizing 10-15-20.
>
>This is a wonderful reflector, made so by all herein who love the
>hobby and
>enjoy the sharing of knowledge and experience!   Thanks & 73, DavidC
>AA1FA
>

>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]