[TowerTalk] FW: R7000 VSWR Problems

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: R7000 VSWR Problems
From: billings@nbnet.nb.ca (Tim Billings)
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 13:38:49 -0300

-----Original Message-----
From:   Tim Billings [SMTP:billings@nbnet.nb.ca]
Sent:   June 7, 1998 1:38 PM
To:     'antennas@qth.net'
Subject:        FW: R7000 VSWR Problems

-----Original Message-----
From:   Tim Billings [SMTP:billings@nbnet.nb.ca]
Sent:   June 3, 1998 8:24 PM
To:     'techsup@cushcraft.com'
Subject:        R7000 VSWR Problems

HI.....I am an owner of a R7000 Vertical and I have been having problems in
trying to
lower the SWR on this antenna. The 10M, 15M and 17M band VSWR is fine...But I
have been unable to
lower the VSWR on 20M and 40M.

I have tried the following...
* Tested antenna at both feedpoint and at transmitter with no noticeable change
in VSWR
* Changed out coax feedline in an attempt to find problem in coax.
* Tested VSWR with 3 meters (Autek, radio, tuner)
* Relocated antenna
* Varied height above ground.
* Adjusted the lengths of the antenna sections in question.
* Checked the VSWR readings with another  MN7000.... No change
* Cleaned all contacts and joints
All the above resulted in no changes in the high (6 to 9) VSWR.

HOWEVER.... I did disassemble the top two traps and cleaned the contact points.
When I reassembled
the traps and reinstalled the antenna with the dimensions as per the manual...
the VSWR was low...1.2 to 2
on the two bands in question..BUT..as power (80 to 100 watts) was applied the
VSWR climbed again to
6 to 9 on the 20M and 40M bands.

I am looking for solutions to correct the problem....Can you help ???

Thanks
73 de Tim VE9XA