[TowerTalk] Crank-up Horror => guyed - cement

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank-up Horror => guyed - cement
From: nw9g@netusa1.net (W9SN)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 20:35:13 -0500
(but it's true that the amount of concrete needed is
> greater than for a guyed tower at the same wind load rating.) 3)
> 73, Dick, WC1M

Who says you need any cement for guyed towers?   (Rohn I guess)
I know of 6 large guyed towers in my area, the smallest being 140'
that don't use a drop of cement and they have been up for over 15 years.
After looking this over I too put up a 100' guyed tower without a drop
of cement last year and won't hesitate to climb it in a windstorm.
( I do have 17' long screw augers from the power co. with 12" screws
on them.) At the base I use the 25g base plate on gravel with a pipe
drove
into the ground to keep it from kicking out.  Call me crazy but I know
this works and I saved a bundle on cement!!

Steve Narducci
W9SN