[TowerTalk] Vertical?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical?
From: w2up@itw.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:46:32 +0000
On 11 Jun 98, UpTheTower@aol.com <UpTheTower@aol.com> wrote:

> Greetings, TowerTalkians --
>
>      I've got a local ham who can only install an HF vertical in a kind of
> restricted spot. He can only put a couple of radials out but they'll have to
> be bent, shortened, etc. in order to get them in so he's looking at the 'no
> radials required' vertical antennas. He's looking at the Gap Titan, Hy-Gain
> DX-77 and Cushcraft R-7000. If you had to make this decision, which one would
> you buy and install? All comments welcomed. Tnx.

Hi Steve - I just purchased a DX-77 just yesterday. It's still in the
box. I was looking for a simple antenna for the second radio, to permit
SO2R and M/S operation.
I asked the same question recently, and also reviewed the archives of
Towertalk.
 I wanted a vertical that did NOT have 80m coverage, as it will
be placed about 150 ft from the tower.  This is only 1/2 (plus or
minus) wavelength on 80, and I didn't want interactions with my 80m
slopers. I believe the GAP has 80m, so I ruled it out. I also ruled out
the GAP as there's one in the neighborhhod here, and it bent after a
storm when everything else survived unscathed. I got several reports
that it's too easy to fry the traps in the R7000 (unlike earlier
Cushcrafts like the R5 and R7). One RTTYer told me he fried a trap at
500 W. That left the Hygain, which got some decent reports, and no
negatives I'm aware of.  Also, it does not require radials, and is
suggested to be mounted on an 8 ft mast, per Roger Cox.

On another note, the coax for the vertical will run in the ground for
about 150 ft, until it joins up with the tower and my other cables, and
then runs in conduit to the shack. What are the current recommendations
for RG8-style coax that can be directly buried? Any sense in putting
the buried portion in a garden hose as added protection?
73 Barry
--
Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet: w2up@itw.com
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club