[TowerTalk] Beam lobes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beam lobes
From: sbest@cushcraft.com (sbest@cushcraft.com)
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 98 10:23:54

     Ed:

     Can you provide more detail on what your are trying to determine?

     The coverage provided by an antenna beam is really a volume of space
     rather than an area.  The enclosed volume of coverage provided by the
     beam lobe is a function of distance from the antenna.

     An APPROXIMATE formula for beam coverage area (considering only a
     single elevation or azimuth plane of the beam) can be found from the
     formula:

     The beam area covered by or within the lobe (in a single sweep plane) =
     [beamwidth/360  x  pi]  x  distance^2

     The beam volume covered by or within the lobe can be approximated by the
     formula
     [1.33 x (beamwidth in one plane x beamwidth in the other plane)/129600] x
     pi x distance^3

     These formulas are really simple approximations.  If you can provide more
     details on what you are specifically trying to determine, perhaps I can
     help further.

     73
     Steve Best
     Cushcraft Corporation