[TowerTalk] Could not believe my eyes <--Part II

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Could not believe my eyes <--Part II
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 13:36:32
At 08:32 AM 6/19/98 -0500, you wrote:

<stuff deleted>

>  The turnbuckes are
>Rohn galvanized turnbuckles I latched onto from a Rohn 55 tower
>installation.  They are extremely hard to turn with my hands...and I usually
>use a open end wrench (I hate crescent wrenches...knuckle busters) to turn
>the turnbuckles.  I could never see then turn and I watched them from
>months.  They never moved.

I recently had an interesting observation on re-using Rohn turnbuckles.

When I starting putting up new guywires here in Texas, I wanted to re-use
the turnbuckles that I had taken down from the station in New York. I found
that many of the turnbuckles were very hard to turn. If fact, after turning
some of  them a little ways they would freeze up. I was afraid that forcing
them beyond that point might damage the turnbuckle.

So I got out the WD-40 and started spraying and turning the turnbuckle back
and forth. After a while I was able to work out the binds to the point
where the turnbuckles turned free over its entire length like a new one
should.

I don't know if there was dirt in the threads or some kind of galling
occuring but the WD-40 and a little patience got them all back in shape. I
guess my point is that a turnbuckle that is hard to turn doesn't
necessarily have to be that way and safety cables should be ALWAYS installed.

73, Richard

K5NA@BGA.COM
http://www.realtime.net/~k5na