[TowerTalk] Clicking? & F-12 antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Clicking? & F-12 antennas
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 17:15:36 -0400
Hummm.

I had a similar problem with my Force12 EF-180A (80M rotatable dipole).
The bird feces (droppings) would saturate the fiberglass insulating rod
at the center of the driven element causing conduction of RF energy
across the element, first at high power, then at lower power levels down
to below 50 Watts. I never bothered to notice the effect in a lightning
storm. I made a fix for it, detailed below.  But, with the fix,
eventually, it would arc across the PVC to the U bolts.

My fix for all this, after replacing the EF-180A with the EF-180C due to
mechanical failure in a storm, was to totally insulate the fiberglass
rod with non-conductive RTV (RTV#162).  That stopped the bird dung from
affecting the conductive property of the fiberglass.  I then insulated
the portion of the element boom directly under the PVC with Scotch
Mastic HV insulating tape (I don't remember the exact part number).

I show the final result and complete details of the EF-180C feedpoint in
my videotape product sold on my website:
http://www.erols.com/n3rr/videotape

Bill, N3RR