[TowerTalk] Re: more - Practical Tips?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: more - Practical Tips?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 00:09:11 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-24 22:53:02 EDT, bshort@speedchoice.com writes:

> I feel that asking for tips from those who have done it (erecting a
>  tall tower) is fair game. I have a heavy duty crankup with KT-34a
>  and 40m beam in the city, but something on that scale is beyond
>  my experiences.
>
>  I doubt installing a 100' tower is rocket science, but I was hoping
>  to collect words of wisdom from those who trodded the path before.
>
>  >                                      Subject:  Practical Tower Tips, etc
>  > Brian;
>  > It is really too bad you didn't learn much from this reflector.  You
might
>  > consider some of the following....and this is serious, not tongue-in-
cheek:
>  >
( a bunch snipped)

>  > 4. Read some books about antennas, erection, towers, etc.  If you did so,
>  >     you would at least have enough knowledge to NOT ask a question like
>  >     "how do I put up a 100 foot tower".  There are many good books
around.
>  >     Spend some money on them.
>  >
       Okay, okay. While Dale's advice was pretty in-your-face, I have to
agree with his general direction.

      Brian, it takes years to learn a lot about building towers and antenna
systems. Your initial question about "what antenna farm should I build?" was
so broad as to be meaningless. Your second post that covered 80M verticals,
wire antennas, 100 foot towers, stacks of yagis and more was more of the same
unfocused inquiry. It's like asking what kind of vehicle should I buy? In the
case of TowerTalk, you'll get about 1100 different answers.

     You need to do more homework and research. I would start with the
extensive TowerTalk archives. They go back a year or so. Read and learn.
They're at http://www.contesting.com/_towertalk/.

     Next, LURK. Out of over 1100 TowerTalkians, only a small fraction of us
actually post something. The rest are learning something. Lurk and learn.

     Don't let me discourage you from posting a question. While there's no
such thing as a dumb question on TowerTalk, a thoughtful question will
generate thoughtful answers.

     Unfortunately I'm not familiar with any book (that's currently available)
that covers the topic so I'm not really sure which ones Dale are referring to.
I've been working on one that I'm hoping will be available later this year but
it's not ready yet. Our tribander comparison report will be available in a
week or so (THAT'LL be some interesting reading) and I'm hoping to have The
Tower Compendium Volume 1 out later this year as well (am I'm biting off more
than I can chew? hmm.). Check out www.championradio.com for more information.

      TowerTalk was started a couple of years ago to be a resource (the only
one so far) for people who had questions about tower and HF antenna
installations and construction. There are some pretty knowledgeable people on
TowerTalk (including K5MM) who are more than happy to add their comments to a
wide variety of these topics. We WANT to answer your questions. Hopefully our
comments will allow anyone to build their dream system safely and reliably.
EVERYONE on TowerTalk started not knowing anything so if there's anything we
can do to help keep someone out of trouble, we're thrilled.

Cheers,   Steve  K7LXC