[TowerTalk] Elementary question - trig formula

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Elementary question - trig formula
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 19:32:29 -0600
There is an even easier way that requires NO  MATH !

Just make a scaled drawing, say 1 inch = 10 ft.

Then you can measure your guy wire lengths and/or
turning radius at any point on the tower.

See, I told you it was simple.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:12:36 -0400 Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
writes:

>At the risk of getting into the dumb question territory:
>
>If you know how far from the base of your tower your guys attach (on
>flat
>ground), and you know how high they attach to the tower, then you
>should be
>able readily to calculate how much turning radius inside the guys
>would
>exist at any given height on the tower.  Obviously, this would be
>useful
>for assessing a potential stack design.
>                                               /I
>                                        / I
>                                       /  I C
>                                      /   I
>                                     /----I
>                                    /  ?  I
>                                   /      I D
>                                  /       I
>                            -----/----B---I---------
>
>That is, if you know the lengths of B and C+D, then you ought to be
>able to
>figure out what "?" is for any length of C.
>
>Unfortunately, I've forgotten virtually all the plane geometry and
>trig
>formulas I ever learned, and I didn't keep any high school math books.
>think the two triangles involved are called "similar triangles," but
>that's
>as far as my memory goes.  Can anyone tell me offhand what the right
>formula is for this?  Once I have the fomula I can do the
>calculations, but
>what to calculate?
>
>Thanks!
>

>73,  Pete Smith N4ZR
>In wild, wonderful, fairly rare WEST Virginia
>
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]