[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Pullout Strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Pullout Strength
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider, N3RR)
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 13:59:15 +0100
Yikes, Mark, you better check your ROHN catalog and obtain a copy of
ANSI/TIA/EIA-222-F-1996

Per my 1991 ROHN catalog, for 110 mph basic wind (no ice) your 110 ft of 25G
isn't even on the charts!  100 ft of 25G @ 110 mph wind requires 80% guying
and will take only 7.4 sq ft load.

Even the 90 mph wind no ice 110 ft of 25G tower specs out at 80% guying.

Your 45.5% (50/110) guying design is way too low and will result in a very
unstable installation (my opinion).  For example, I use 93% in  my design.
The higher the % guying, the more stable the design.  I've heard that the rule
of thumb is no less than 60% guying.  Maybe Steve, K7LXC, would like to
comment on this aspect.

Your comment on hurricane country and soils leads me to suspect you haven't
obtained a copy of the -222- spec I referred to above.  Yes it's expensive
($80 in 1996), but far cheaper than replacing 110 feet of tower w/antenna.
BTW, Montgomery County MD (where I live) requires all tower designs in
building permit applications to be certified to meet the most current
ANSI/TIA/EIA-222- spec.  When I applied for my permit, I had a PE design the
guy anchor system and review my guying and other mechanical design  and so
certify. There are several other  reasons to obtain PE certification as well:
potential future liability protection, piece of mind, for example.

The -222- spec may be obtained from Global Engineering Documents,
1-800-854-7179 (for those who need it).

73

Bill, N3RR