[TowerTalk] KLM 40M4 -v- M2 40M4L

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KLM 40M4 -v- M2 40M4L
From: clive@gm3poi.prestel.co.uk (clive penna)
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 23:34:18 +0100
Hi Al,
No the M2 is definitely not better. I had a 4el 40m manufactured to a
125mph spec. The linear loading fell apart several times at wind speeds of
around 65mph. I rebuilt it and tried several times to keep the
reliability up without success. The actual elements were OK its the
linear loading thats the problem. I solved the problem by creating a 2el
antenna out of two of the 4 elements using Cushcraft traps and reserving
the remaining two elements for a backup 4 square.
The new 2el is at 100ft and so far has only seen 95mph but is fine.
regards Clive GM3POI  Orkney

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>