[TowerTalk] Orion 2800 - Need info

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Orion 2800 - Need info
From: n4kw@citrus.infi.net (Pete Raymond)
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 05:54:36 -0700
Dave Hawes wrote:

> When we lost the reflector on the 3 element 40 meter beam at N3RS
> (full size, old Hygain 403B Long John), the resultant imbalance was
> too much for the rotator, which has bitten the dust.  In fairness,
> the rotator, an Emoto 1300 MSAX, had performed flawlessly for about 4
> years.  No complaints.  It is just not designed to restrain a large
> weather vane, as it was asked to do when the reflector came off the
> beam (another story).
>
> Repair of the Emoto is an option, but we are also considering the
> Orion 2800.  As with any retrofit, installation difficulty depends
> upon how much rework of the existing hardware will need to be done.
> To determine this, we need the following information for the Orion
> 2800:
>
> 1.  Dimensions/geometry of the hole pattern for the rotor mounting
> shelf.  (This will tell us if we need to drop the shelf for
> redrilling.  Incidentally, we understand that a new version of the
> 2800 will be introduced shortly that has six mounting bolts versus
> the present four.  For now, any information at all would be helpful
> in this regard.)
>
> 2.  Height from bottom of rotator to bottom of mast, assuming that
> the mast settles down in the clamp and rests on the top of the
> rotator.  (This will tell us if we need to move the shelf up or down
> from its current location.  The tower is AB-105, so to relocate the
> shelf will require drilling some new holes in the AB-105 verticals.
> Cutting the mast is not an option for this particular installation.)
>
> We have requested this information from M-Squared (e-mail and two
> telephone calls), but so far all we've managed to get is a brochure,
> which gives none of the necessary information.  You wouldn't think it
> would be this hard to get simple information.
>
> Textual data would be very helpful.  A scanned image of the
> dimensioned drawings would be even better.  (The M-Squared web page
> has a drawing of the 2800, but no dimensions of use.)
>
> Any help anybody?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> 73 - Dave, N3RD
> Co-Captain, N3RS Contesting Team
>
> --
Hi Dave, I have an Orion 2800 mounted inside my AB-105 tower.  Looking
at my 2800 manual here is some of the info you requested.
Looking up at the bottom, the bolt patern is a 3" X 3" square.  The
mounting bolts are 5//16-24 X 3" with flats and lockwashers.
The rotator shape is like a horizontal delta loop measuring 9" X 8.50".
It measures 15.25" from bottom to top of the large Ductile iron mast
clamp.
I use angle iron at a leg splice of the AB-105 and then bolt the rotor
plate to the three angle iron braces mounted on all three faces of the
tower.
Dave you are not alone re the unreturned e-mail questions etc.  I have
been trying to find out the price of the new programable control box.
Have sent e-mail and called many times.
Its a great rotator, IMHO second only to the prop-pitch.
If I can be of further assistance drop me a note.  73 Pete N4KW
Inverness, Fl.