[TowerTalk] Quad Vs Yagi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Quad Vs Yagi
From: n7ml@imt.net (Michael Lamb)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 22:56:33 -0600

----------
From:   DavidC[SMTP:davidc@bit-net.com]
Sent:   Wednesday, July 08, 1998 4:40 PM
To:     towertalk@contesting.com

David:  A few years ago I put up a stack of six triband yagis on a rotating 190
foot Rohn 55G tower.  For the next 18 months or so I got a big thrill out of
playing DXpedition working Europeans hour after hour contest style.

When ever a station came back that was 10 or 20 dB over the top of the pileup,
I made a habit of asking what the antenna system was.  Invariably, the most
common response was either a stack of yagis or a quad.  I have had it happen so
often that I have become a believer in the idea that the quad definitely has a
lower angle of radiation than the typical yagi at the same elevation.

I realize that when I model the quad vs. yagi on the computer that I don't see
this difference, but I am only honestly reporting what I have observed from a
relatively rare perspective.

73/Mike, N7ML

You may want to have a look at the May 1979 and May 1982 issues of Ham
Radio magazine.  Wayne, N6NB, has a lengthy study of yagis versus quads and
generally concludes that there is little true difference.  I was somewhat
persuaded, though I still find many testimonies from actual users with both
types of antennas side-by-side which suggest otherwise.

Two of the most common advantages stated for quads are better performance
at lower heights and better performance at the opening and closing of the
bands due to conditions (this is said to be because the quad is quieter and
thus hears better).

L.B. Cebik, W4RNL, has a very enlightening discussion of antenna height
versus performance at his web site:  http://web.utk.edu/~cebik/hsyg.html
Perhaps some of his work might be helpful in calculating maximized
performance heights for yagis and quads.

I have decided to put up one KLM KT-34XA and one tri-band quad and see what
I can discover!

Hope this helps a little ... 73, DavidC  AA1FA