[TowerTalk] block splice

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] block splice
From: aa0cy@nwrain.com (Bob Wanderer)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 21:02:42 -0700
A block splice is a mechanical splice (and rectangularly-shaped,
hence the name block splice). It's simply a device with two 5/8-24
threaded holes and screws to seize the center pins of the cable
connectors (called pin or entry or hardline connectors depending
on how many years the cable guy has been in the industry) A round
tube of copper provides center conductor continuity through the device
and is held in place with dielectric or air (with two spacers on either end).
The block provides the shield or outer conductor continuity.

Anyway, this device should be able to handle legal power. Make sure the
installation has been done correctly. These devices do not have the typical
120+ dB of shielding good hardline has, but it's still in the high 80s~low 100s.

If the color of the device is brass, it's probably a Gilbert connector. If it's
aluminum
it's probably LRC. If it's PPC (brass), get a *real* splice. Gilbert is in the
Phoenix,
Ariz. area and LRC is in Horseheads, NY. I don't have telephone numbers handy,
but
800 info should be able to help you out. Jack Radzik at LRC is a ham and can
help you.
I don't have a contact name at Gilbert anymore.

73,
Bob Wanderer AA0CY
20 years (so far) in cable TV