[TowerTalk] SWR problems on 20M dipoles?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SWR problems on 20M dipoles?
From: mlowell@noclant.navy.mil (Lowell, Mark)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 98 08:16:41 -0400
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 15:28:03 PDT
From: "David Jones" <kk7gw@hotmail.com>

<the 20m inverted vee has a
<3.5:1 SWR.  However, that 3.5:1 occurs around 14260, and on either side
<of that, the SWR goes up to 4.5 or 5:1 on the band edges.<snip>
<We have checked the coax for a short, and there wasn't one.
<Any suggestions as to what could cause this?
<David Jones, KK7GW kk7gw@hotmail.com

I recently helped a friend with a similar problem. Check your antenna
and coax not only for shorts but also for continuity through the shield
and the center conductor, from the transmitter end out to the dipole ends.
The strain of falling may have parted a conductor beneath the insulation.
If you're using insulated wire for the dipole,  you may not see the
break.
 Also, sometimes, you find that your handiwork with a PL-259 wasn't
quite as good as you hoped. <sigh, a humbling experience for me!>

--...MARK_N1LO...--