[TowerTalk] MFJ259B: Vers. 6F0 vs. 6F1 ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ259B: Vers. 6F0 vs. 6F1 ?
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:38:54 -1000
You wrote,

>Jim,
>I wonder if you'd be able to answer a question for me. I'm considering the
>MFJ 259B and the new AEA analyzer (the one that does complex impedance.) I
>have used both the original MFJ 259 and the Autek RF-1, and my biggest
>complaint about both of them is the frequency tuning. ..-snip--
>The advertising for the 259B
>says it has a reduction drive for tuning. How well does it work?

Mine does not.

Hi Dick,

Setting the 259B to a precise frequency is just about NOT possible!
Even on 40 meters,  just a touch of the tuning knob,  and the frequency
deltas several kHz;  and on the higher bands,  it jumps 10's.  At
least mine does.  Certainly no indication that there is any sort of
reduction gear inside.  My older 259 had a small variable cap
on the other end of the tuning knob;  my 259B almost certainly
is the same from the way it behaves,  hi.

Now I believe I have read somewhere that MFJ  would release
yet another version of the 259,  the C maybe,  later this year;
this unit to have a frequency synthesizer within.  That would
certainly solve the frequency set problems.

All in all,  with these fast paced software changes coming out
with new 259B's,  you would almost think MFJ ought to have
waited a few months until all the "bugs" were out,   maybe,
and the frequency synthesizer was ready to go.  How many
of us are going to spend around $200 for one of these this
year,  only to wish we had known,  and waited just a few
more months for the "real"  new 259??

73,  Jim,  KH7M