[TowerTalk] KT-34XA rebuild problems..answers rcvd

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KT-34XA rebuild problems..answers rcvd
From: thompson@mindspring.com (thompson@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 12:50:06 -0400
I got back a number of replies to the problem of the 15 meter ground strap
that is still loose even after the hardware is tight.  There seems to be 3
possible answers:

1.    use pop rivets so popular in Force 12 antennas.

2.    Use a machine set screw to make solid electrical and  mechanical
contact.

3.    Use shims under the strap.

I am choosing #3...probably will make my own shims from some aluminum I have
left over from some McMaster-carr sheets.  This way the existing strap will
have more surface to bind to...

But, the problem of loose straps seems to be common in rebuilding the KT34
or 34XA (putting on those new bright blue caps).  I have 2 more elements (4
assemblies) to go.

Remember to put the new caps in hot water for a few minutes before
installing them...you will be amazed at how fast and easy they go on!

73, Dave K4JRB